Immediate Phase I Building priorities are to accomplish the following (Special Use Permit Authorization has been received through 2013):
• Address health, safety and welfare of the occupants within the older existing structures;
• Make the older existing structures code compliant where feasible;
• Address the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements where physically possible; and
• Some facility reidentification with the new lobby addition.
The specific improvements in this first phase include the following:
1. Lincoln Drive improvements required in the 2001 Classroom Addition ‘Major Amendment to the Special Use Permit’ stipulations with the Town of Paradise Valley. This includes the meandering 6 feet wide integral colored sidewalk, grading preparation and fine grading and minor revegetation of disturbed areas constructed by the Town of Paradise Valley.
2. Site Improvements including landscaping to revegetate disturbed areas where retention is required and at a new wastewater system. New retention areas, wastewater system, relocated Meditation Garden, new electrical power, and fire line with hydrant(s) to supply a new sprinkler system will be required.
3. 1961 Worship will reconfigure the lobby to tie into the new lobby and the one existing interior stair is made more code compliant with rated walls, doors, landings and handrails. New east and west exit doors from the Sanctuary. Minor new finishes, electrical and mechanical system rework at the reconfigured lobby. New fire sprinkler system and fire alarm system throughout.
4. 1961 West Wing will have new interior doors and frames, new exit doors and energy efficient glass to the north. Minor mechanical system repair at the corridor condensate lines and electrical work. New sprinkler system and fire alarm system throughout.
5. 1965 Structure to have wood and termite damaged frames replaced with aluminum; and new exterior doors. Minor finish repair and electrical. New sprinkler system and fire alarm system throughout.
6. New Restroom Core Addition to south of the Worship includes a new structure with retaining walls, slabs, roof structure and roofing, interior partitions, finishes, plumbing fixtures, lighting, power, mechanical system, sprinkler system and fire alarm system. Men, Women, and Unisex restrooms with shower included.
7. New Lobby Addition to the east of the Worship space includes a new structure with two terraced slabs on-grade, full height glass, roof structure with roofing, sun shading devices, fascia trim, interior finishes, interior inclined walks and steps with handrails, glass and metal guardrails, mechanical system, electrical power and lighting, sprinkler system and fire alarm system. Area for storing bulk items as tables, chairs, art display systems, etc.
8. Site Technical Requirements:
A. Waste Water System: This subject was researched into at length. With there not being access to an active sewer line in Lincoln Drive and wanting to avoid an alternative waste water system on-site, the consulting team confirmed with the City of Phoenix that it is possible to access an active sewer system in adjacent developments to the east. This is further reinforced, as the TOPV requires a minimum of 5 feet natural soil to accommodate the more conventional septic tank/leach field system, which does not exist with the caliche-like soils. Therefore the TOPV does not allow the septic tank/leach field system.
B. TOPV requires on-site drainage retention, which has not been accommodated in the past 40 years. The TOPV has stated that the two existing drainage easements cannot be used for retention and they prefer a series of retention areas be distributed across the entire site in lieu of a single large retention area. After studying the options a larger retention area was proposed at the southern property line area that handles the required volumes.
In addition, due to Maricopa County Environmental regulations, the following work has been moved from Phase II to Phase I
1. Northwest parking lot with new west side driveway entrance, concrete walk along 40th Place, asphaltic concrete drive and parking spaces, concrete accessible spaces with logos and signs, concrete wheel stops, new pole lighting, directional signage/maps, and existing electrical pit equipment corrective work.
2. New monument sign fronting on Lincoln Drive.